Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2016

Teenage Problems!

Being a Mom to 2 teenagers can be both exhausting as well as rewarding. Thank goodness they are going through their teenage years together so they complain to each other and get advice from each other at the same time. It's interesting to hear them talk to each other about their crushes and friends at school.  I try to be there on the sidelines as guidance to the advice-giving. They will often ask for each other's advice before they approach me.  It's usually in the evenings after dinner, after their HW is completed and after they've practiced their piano or guitar.

They come into my room after a shower with their hair wet and in pajamas and sit on my bed.  It usually begins like this... "Mommy, you know when...." Those are precious moments when I forget that they are coming into young adulthood and I see them as little kids again asking for Mom's advice.

The latest article I wrote this month for New York Biz Japanese Newspaper is about TEENAGE PROBLEMS.  Now all teenagers have these problems but for this teenager, these problems are as real and as big as ever. Read and enjoy!

Teenage Problems

For readers who have been enjoying my monthly column, you have read that my son asked for braces a few years ago.  Most teenagers tell their parents they DO NOT want braces. Back then, he was worried that with spaces in his teeth, the girls would not want to dance with him during the school dance. But now, he’s wondering when he will get his braces off.

“Mommy, I have all 3 horrible teenager things happening to me at once.” He complained to me last week. “What do you mean by horrible teenager things?” I asked. He explained, “Glasses, acne and braces.” For a few seconds, I just didn’t know how to answer him. “OK, braces are because you wanted your smile to look good. Glasses are because our family does not have perfect vision. Acne is because…you’re a teenager.”  Gee, I don’t remember going through all this stress starting high school. Or maybe because it was such a long time ago that I’ve forgotten?

Teenagers that get braces often ask how long it will take. The answer is usually an approximate time.  It depends on how easy the teeth are to move and how much movement is needed.  Appointments are often set about a month apart to allow for correct movement; not too fast, not too slow. Sometimes, teeth need to be extracted in order to have the necessary space to fix crowding.  Some types of movement are harder than others.  Closing spaces are usually harder to fix than crowding.

The time to start braces is also different. Some cases are better started off earlier when the child still has some baby teeth. Some cases are better when all the adult teeth come in.
If I notice kids’ adult teeth coming in crooked or if their parents have had braces, chances are, that child will need braces to have a perfect straight smile. A child that has regular dental appointments can be checked more often so potential problems can be fixed early sometimes even avoiding braces.


Luckily for my son, his braces will be finished before summer. His acne is going away now that he is older.  At least that will be 2/3 of his teenage problems solved. Let’s see what we can do about the last teenage problem.  I had promised him that if I don’t have to complain about his messy room all summer, he will be allowed to get contacts. Let’s see if that will happen before high school start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment