Search This Blog

Monday, May 12, 2014

My Homeless Friend, Ron

This is an article I had written for Daily Sun Japanese Newspaper. My assistant, Keiko, translates it into Japanese for me.


Enjoy!



Dear Diary… Dental Supplies for My Homeless Friend, Ron


When I drive to work from Queens everyday, I usually take the same route. LIE to Queensboro Bridge to FDR Drive. On my way from the Queensboro Bridge to the FDR Drive, I usually see a homeless man with a sign on the sidewalk.  As a New Yorker, I personally don’t give money to homeless people but instead I’ll give him snacks that I have in the car. Once in awhile, I will give him the sandwich I made myself for lunch. He certainly needs it more than I do. I can definitely afford to lose some weight and go without lunch for a day!

After a few years of sharing my food, one day, my car was stopped right next to him waiting for the light to change. He looked at me and I looked at him. I asked him, “What’s your name?” I figure that after all these years, if I’m to see him on a regular basis, might as well say Hi properly and address him by his name. “My name is Ron”, he replied.  After that, whenever I hand him a snack in the morning, I say, “Hi, Ron!” with a smile. He smiles back and thanks me for the food.  I noticed that he doesn’t have any teeth in the front. I’m guessing that doesn’t affect his eating habits because Ron is not a skinny guy!

It also made me re-think about the snacks I’ve been handing out to him. Since he’s homeless, he may not be brushing often enough for me to be giving him sugary snacks or cookies each time. As a dentist, I would not want him to be leaving all that food around his mouth and not being able to clean it out properly. It got me thinking; instead of giving him food and snacks, I could give him a toothbrush and toothpaste! That would make sense.

I haven’t seen Ron all winter but now that the weather has warmed up, I’m sure I’ll be seeing him again. I’ll have to remember to keep a toothbrush and some toothpaste in my car so I can give them to him next time. After all, for Ron, going through a difficult time in his life doesn’t mean he needs to lose more teeth because of tooth and gum problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment